Setting up Postfix on SUSE

Drew Marshall drew at THEMARSHALLS.CO.UK
Sun May 22 16:02:14 IST 2005

Lance Haig wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have been trying to see if the install for postfix documents on the
> wiki work for my SUSE 9.2 install
>
> I followed the following
>
> http://wiki.mailscanner.info/doku.php?id=documentation:configuration:mta:postfix:installation
>

> But when I try and start MailScanner I get the following error
> <snip>
> initializing incoming postfixInitializing outgoing postfix..failed
> Initializing MailScanner
> </snip>
>
> what do I need to look for

I think you will find you will need to look for nothing as far as
getting a functioning mail service is concerned. Those errors are start
up script errors and nothing else. You should find that Postfix and
MailScanner are working fine. I did run SUSE briefly and fiddled with
the start up script to stop it complaining (Can't remember exactly how
but it was all about the status flags at the end of each start up
command). I would look there first (Checking the mail log to ensure mail
is being passed as I would expect it to be.

Drew

been scanned for viruses and dangerous
www.themarshalls.co.uk/policy