MailScanner occasionally not picking up from the hold queue

Drew Marshall drew at THEMARSHALLS.CO.UK
Sat May 21 21:17:46 IST 2005

Nigel Kendrick wrote:

>I have tried running debug and most of the time it runs through fine but
>occasionally it grinds to a halt.
>
>The tail end of the section where it sometimes stops is as follows:
>
>debug: running raw-body-text per-line regexp tests; score so far=-1.053
>debug: running full-text regexp tests; score so far=-1.053
>debug: Running tests for priority: 1000
>debug: running meta tests; score so far=-1.053
>debug: running header regexp tests; score so far=-1.053
>debug: running body-text per-line regexp tests; score so far=-1.053
>debug: running uri tests; score so far=-1.053
>debug: running raw-body-text per-line regexp tests; score so far=-1.053
>debug: running full-text regexp tests; score so far=-1.053
>debug: is spam? score=-1.053 required=5
>debug: tests=ALL_TRUSTED,MISSING_DATE,MISSING_SUBJECT,NO_REAL_NAME
>debug:
>subtests=__HAS_MSGID,__MSGID_OK_DIGITS,__MSGID_OK_HOST,__SANE_MSGID,__UNUSAB
>LE_MSGID
>
>Now, when debug DOES complete, the next bits are:
>
>debug: ---- MIME PARSER START ----
>debug: main message type: text/plain
>debug: parsing normal part
>debug: added part, type: text/plain
>debug: ---- MIME PARSER END ----
>debug: bayes: 20574 tie-ing to DB file R/O
>/var/spool/MailScanner/spamassassin/bayes_toks
>debug: bayes: 20574 tie-ing to DB file R/O
>/var/spool/MailScanner/spamassassin/bayes_seen
>debug: bayes: found bayes db version 3
>debug: bayes: Not available for scanning, only 32 spam(s) in Bayes DB < 200
>debug: bayes: 20574 untie-ing
>debug: bayes: 20574 untie-ing db_toks
>debug: bayes: 20574 untie-ing db_seen
>...etc...
>
>This seems to imply that the MIME PARSER bit is sometimes not starting OR
>that the subtests prior to this aren't finishing??
>
>Anyone!??

Or that SA is struggling with the lock on bayes. As you are running
Postfix, have you got the permissions correct? MailScanner will be
running as the postfix user so that uid will need permissions to access
Bayes and it's directory.

Drew

been scanned for viruses and dangerous
www.themarshalls.co.uk/policy