Testing with TestVirus

Ugo Bellavance ugob at CAMO-ROUTE.COM
Fri May 20 22:18:34 IST 2005

Vladan Nikolic wrote:
>>>Hello
>>>
>>>I have installed MailScanner 4.41.3 and ClamAV 0.84 with spamassassin
>>>3.0.3 on my servers. When I run tests from
>>>http://www.webmail.us/testvirus everything is detected, except test #23
>>>"Empty MIME Boundary Vulnerability".  On MailScanner site I found info
>>>that it was resolved in some earlier version... Is anybody else has this
>>>issue? How to resolve it?

I've re-read all the posts having 'testvirus' in the subject and I got
the answer: (quoting Julian)

================
[...]I have added support for the specific things they claim to exploit
in 2 of
the cases that weren't already handled.
The 3rd one relies on repeating the MIME boundary string, so all you can do
is match against the beginning of the boundary string that is actually
used. Adding support for that case would break compatibility with many
versions of Eudora as it uses the same boundary string throughout a
message, just tacking things on the end for when it does things like put in
HTML+text versions of the message body.

I obviously don't want to break Eudora compatibility just to pass a fairly
artificial test.

Please remember that testvirus.org is owned by Excedent Technologies who
sell email security products.
http://www.excedent.com/
Don't for a minute think that testvirus.org is independent just because it
is a .org domain!