rules help

Matt Kehler mkehler at WRHA.MB.CA
Thu May 19 20:48:32 IST 2005

Just to clarify this, lets say that an exe gets sent to user at domain.com
.  the first line in filename.allowexe.conf will allow it to pass...but
if exe's are set to deny in filename.normal.conf...then what?  Is the exe
already 'passed' at this point?  Or will the last rule apply..which will
be block exe's in filename.normal.conf?

Sorry to ask again, but this part confuses me.  I'm used to the world of
firewalls, where in most cases, once you have a rule hit, processing
STOPS at that point.   But it seems as though MailScanner will keep
processing through all the rules?

Basically, in the below example, will solitaire.exe get through to
user at domain.com??

thanks
Matt

Julian Field wrote:
> The "Filename Rules" and "Filetype Rules" are "all matches" settings.
> So in this example:
>
> To: user at domain.com filename.allowexe.conf
> To *@domain.com filename.normal.conf
> FromOrTo: default filename.rules.conf
>
> If a message arrives addressed to user at domain.com, the rules applied
are
> all those in filename.allowexe.conf followed by filename.normal.conf.
>
> If a message arrives addressed to any-other-user at domain.com, the rules
> applied are all those in filename.normal.conf.
>
> Mail from or to anywhere else has the filename.rules.conf applied.
>
> So you can have filename.allowexe.conf contain a single line
> allow   \.exe$   -   -
> and use the normal rules for filename.normal.conf.
>
> The rulesets are strung together in the order they are specified in the
> ruleset (as in the example above).
> The "default" rules are only applied when no other rule in the ruleset
> matches the email message.
>
> I hope that clears it up a bit.
> If you agree that the above does indeed do what you want, please can
you
> add this to the wiki (wiki.mailscanner.info) so other people can easily
> find it.
>
> Oh, and exactly the same above applies to the "Filetype Rules" as well.

Pretty nice, but this assumes that the default also fits his needs (in
this case, I think it is ok).