rules help

Rick Cooper rcooper at DWFORD.COM
Thu May 19 19:01:29 IST 2005

-----Original Message-----
[mailto:MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK]On Behalf Of Matt Kehler
Sent: Thursday, May 19, 2005 12:45 PM
To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: rules help

      Drews response basically means that your filenames.conf is
      duplicated, with a one line modification for the exe's, is it
      not?

I was looking for an actual EXCEPTION, where I basically say " let
BobUser receive all files listed FILE1, and after that, use the
rules as per FILE2'.  And everyone else, just use FILE2

What Drews says to me is that you can't really do a true
exception...its more like  "copy FILE2 that everyone uses to FILE1,
change one line for exe's in FILE1, and then give BobUser FILE1.

So Bobuser would never actually process the file2 rules..   So its
not really an exception then.  Its just an entirely separate
ruleset, that happens to only have a one line difference...

Or am I missing the boat again?

Matt
[Rick Cooper]

Nope, you just on the semtantecs boat.

It's an exception that says let everyone use rules in File1 EXCEPT
BobUser who uses rules in File2 (and JoeUser who uses File3, etc)

Rules are processed top down so each rule other
than DefaultToOrFrom is an exception to the norm (default)

What you are saying is use one filename/type rule file and have the
rule point to a rules file like

Deny    \.exe$    Exe's are bad    Exe's are
Bad    %rules-dir%/filenameuserrules.rule

where filenameuserrules.rule would look like:

To: bobuser at mydomain.com    no
DefaultToOrFrom:     yes

I think that would further complicate things, not to mention
require quite a rewrite most likely... interesting concept,
however.

Rick

Ugo Bellavance wrote:

> Matt Kehler wrote:
>
>> For some reason I just can't figure this out.  We have our
default
>> filename blocking rules config, and want to allow ONE user to
get
>> .exe's, which NOBODY else gets.   This part I can figure out.
But we
>> also want the default blocking rules to apply to that user as
well.

>> So my question is, can I have an 'exceptions' rule for that
user, which
>> only contains the one line allowing exe's, and then somehow also
have
>> the default blocking rules ALSO get hit as a second rule?  OR,
for this
>> one user, do I basically have to have their own ENTIRE ruleset,
which
>> will essentially will replicate our default ruleset, with the
exception
>> of allowing one filename?
>

> Yes, there is nothing like exceptions in MailScanner right now.

Yes there is!
Drew's response tells you how. It's what rulesets are for.

--
Julian Field

believed to be clean. ------------------------ MailScanner list
Before posting, read the Wiki (http://wiki.mailscanner.info/)