rules help

Drew Marshall drew at THEMARSHALLS.CO.UK
Thu May 19 17:24:12 IST 2005

Matt Kehler said:
> For some reason I just can't figure this out.  We have our default
> filename blocking rules config, and want to allow ONE user to get
> .exe's, which NOBODY else gets.   This part I can figure out.  But we
> also want the default blocking rules to apply to that user as well.
>
> So my question is, can I have an 'exceptions' rule for that user, which
> only contains the one line allowing exe's, and then somehow also have
> the default blocking rules ALSO get hit as a second rule?  OR, for this
> one user, do I basically have to have their own ENTIRE ruleset, which
> will essentially will replicate our default ruleset, with the exception
> of allowing one filename?

Well providing you don't mind this user being able to receive _all_ .exe
files then all you have to do is copy the filenames.conf to another file,
e.g. exeption_user.filenames.conf then make a rule set like:

To: <exception_user>@domain.com exeption_user.filenames.conf
ToOrFrom: default filename.conf

and enter this rule set in the suitable place in MailScanner.conf

Obviously this change won't affect AV scanning nut may leave that user
potentially exposed in the time between new viruses and definition
updates.

HTH

Drew

been scanned for viruses and dangerous