Semi-OT: installing MS on an old redhat box - perl version?

Tom G. Christensen tgc at STATSBIBLIOTEKET.DK
Thu May 19 11:32:37 IST 2005

Julian Field wrote:
> MailScanner and SpamAssassin should both run okay on Perl 5.6.1.

And they do.

I have several RHEL 2.1 machines that are running a Mailscanner,
Spamassassin, ClamAV, Etrust, Bitdefender and Mailwatch combo.

They're plain RHEL 2.1 with only a few strategic upgrades to some perl
modules, all done with cpan2rpm for cleanliness.

> I would download the source tarball of Perl, or the SRPM of it, and
> work on that. Remove the whole of /usr/lib/perl and the RPM's of it
> all before you actually do the "install" step. Then you can be
> confident that your old installation has gone.

I just had a go at the FC3 SRPM on my RHEL 2.1 buildhost and with a little
tweaking it works.

-tgc