[Semi OT] Who is the Proper authorities?

Dave Duffner - PSCGi webalizer at NWCWEB.COM
Wed May 18 17:56:04 IST 2005

Steve,

        Sadly even I get quite a few 'detailed' e-mails that
pass by filters and all the methods we use to block those
types of mail.  Some with pictures that contain 'stars'
which barely cover portions of those pics and are severely
borderline on pure porn.

        Unfortunately there isn't much we as providers can
do beyond snagging the first few and trying to use things
like Mailwatch/SpanAssassin to block them out.  But those
who send it constantly look for new ways to spew the garbage
and it keeps on coming.

        On the 'authorities' side, best you could do there
is work with your clients to react to stuff that slips
through the system if it contains items that are illegal
in some form.  It's tricky, most of what people find
objectionable isn't illegal, thus there isn't much in the
way of recourse.  If you do find links or clues in them
that could be persued, then you're looking at manhours
spent to resolve the issue and if that's profitable for
you as the ISP/HSP.

        Now, that being said, then you have those free-speech
nutballs who object to the fact you're blocking anything
in the first place... 50% want the sludge and you not
blocking, 50% never want to see it.  It's a full Catch 22.

        So, my best suggestion from what we do is simply
tighen up your Acceptable Use Policy and other Terms &
Conditions.  Our clearly states that when someone becomes
a customer and has an e-mail account, they agree to our
terms in mail handling.  The Policy package includes all
sorts of legal-eze stating we take a harder line stance
on spam & mail transfers and that by accepting and using
an account they agree to how we handle things.  We do
block a ton of overseas traffic as it's 99% garbage, so
those who deal with people outside the US may have issues
on mail transfer.

        Overall, since taking that CYA stance about 2 years
ago we get 1-2 rare calls for opening up specific UK
points that are 'kosher' and some other random points.
We have also had 1-2 rare complaints, but we've pointed
those to the Policies and it stops there.  We've also
provided GMail invites to those who really have an issue
with restricted mail flow, never had negative feedback
from that as well.  So it's a format that's worked quite
well for us.

        There's no way to make everyone happy, best you
can do is cover yourself by placing your contractual
agreement with your customers in a position where you
have the most control and buffer zone against them trying
to come back at you for a block or other problem.

     David J. Duffner
     President
     PSCGi
     Paradise Shore Communications Group
     www.pscginternet.com

I--I
Message scanned by MailScanner, and is believed to be clean.
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This transmission intended for the
specified destination and person.  If this is not you, this
e-mail must be deleted immediately.     www.pscginternet.com