Machine slow

Andrews Carl 448 Carl.Andrews at CRACKERBARREL.COM
Wed May 18 17:41:42 IST 2005

Patrick,
        Are you using RBL's? Looks like you are listed, maybe that is
why?

Thanks,
Carl

-----Original Message-----
Behalf Of Patrick Chan
Sent: Wednesday, May 18, 2005 2:42 AM
To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: {Spam?} Machine slow

The Cracker Barrel Email Firewall believes that the attachment to this
message sent to you

    From: owner-mailscanner at jiscmail.ac.uk
 Subject: Machine slow

is Unsolicited Commercial Email (spam). Unless you are sure that this
message
is incorrectly thought to be spam, please delete this message without
opening
it. Opening spam messages might allow the spammer to verify your email
address.

If you believe that this message has been incorrectly marked as spam,
please
forward this email to MailScanner at crackerbarrel.com.

 pts rule name              description
---- ----------------------
-0.0 BAYES_00               BODY: Bayesian spam probability is 0 to 1%
                            [score: 0.0000]
 0.3 MIME_BASE64_TEXT       RAW: Message text disguised using base64
encoding
 2.0 RCVD_IN_SORBS_DUL      RBL: SORBS: sent directly from dynamic IP
address
                            [61.145.153.148 listed in dnsbl.sorbs.net]
 3.8 RCVD_IN_DSBL           RBL: Received via a relay in list.dsbl.org
                            [<http://dsbl.org/listing?61.145.153.148>]

Hi all,

I'm using Redhat 9.0 + MailScanner 4.31.6 + clamav 0.83
I've used MailScanner for a year. Recently, I find that my machine is
very slow.
Load average is over 4.0. My users can't receive mail via ipop3d because
from the result of command "top", the CPU resource is used up by
MailScanner.

When I stop using MailScanner (simply just using sendmail and procmail to
block certain file extension), the speed becomes normal, load average
drops back to below 1.0

I checked maillog, there are many such messages:
MailScanner[8280]: New Batch: Found 31 messages waiting

But those 31 messages are not the mails for my users. Those mails seem to
be spam mails.

Is there any good solution for this situation? Thanks very much in
advance.