swamped mail relays - suggestions

Steen, Glenn Glenn.Steen at AP1.SE
Wed May 18 09:19:47 IST 2005

Greg Matthews wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-05-17 at 16:04 +0200, Steen, Glenn wrote:
>> Greg Matthews wrote:
>> (snipped mangled quote by OutLook-QuoteFix. Sigh)
>
> as bad as groupwise?

Been so since last I looked at GW that I really couldn't tell:-).
But it mangled the iostat beyond recognition.

>>> Any comments and suggestions most welcome.
>
>> Seems that write performance might be what is killing you.
>> Do you use the tmpfs thing for the incoming (MS work-) directory?
>
> yes, I already tmpfs for the work dir. I am thinking that with 10,000
> mails in the mqueue.in directory (~20000 files) the system might be
> stalling just reading the dir.
>
> I've just increased max children from 9 to 20 to see if that helps.
> The comments recommend 5 per cpu but doesnt mention HT processors.
>

>> -- Glenn

Ok, that's good then.
And you might well be right that 2x10K-file-directories might be the
problem (Not perhaps for MS as much as the actual MTA)... Have you
turned off atime updating too?

-- Glenn