swamped mail relays - suggestions

Greg Matthews gmatt at nerc.ac.uk
Tue May 17 15:20:48 IST 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-17 at 16:04 +0200, Steen, Glenn wrote:
> Greg Matthews wrote:
> (snipped mangled quote by OutLook-QuoteFix. Sigh)

as bad as groupwise?

> > Any comments and suggestions most welcome.

> Seems that write performance might be what is killing you.
> Do you use the tmpfs thing for the incoming (MS work-) directory?

yes, I already tmpfs for the work dir. I am thinking that with 10,000
mails in the mqueue.in directory (~20000 files) the system might be
stalling just reading the dir.

I've just increased max children from 9 to 20 to see if that helps. The
comments recommend 5 per cpu but doesnt mention HT processors.

--
Greg Matthews           01491 692445
Head of UNIX/Linux, iTSS Wallingford