Spam via "innocent" machines

pat png patpng7 at yahoo.com
Tue May 17 11:02:45 IST 2005

Jeff,

Yes, same here.
I block with this rule

From:    3d*@*    yes

rgds
Patrickc

Jeff Mills <Jeff.Mills at POCOLD.COM.AU> wrote:
      Hi all,
      I'm hoping somebody might be able to help with a problem
      we've been having lately, but mostly today.
      Some of my users have told us about an increase in spam over
      the last couple of days.
      One user claims she has received 50 today.
      Mailscanner is not picking up these, and when I check, they
      are getting scores mostly of around 1, but up to 3.

      These emails are in various languages, but most seem to be
      english and German, pointing to political news pages.
      Looking at the headers, the originating addresses appear to
      be dialup accounts, adsl accounts etc, which could mean these
      are household computers affected with a worm of some kind.

      The other thing thats happening is that the user will receive
      50 odd undeliverable messages which would suggest that their
      email address was attached to outgoing spam. I dont know how
      I can block these without affec! ting legitimate
      undeliverable messages.
      One thing I have noticed is that of the undeliverable
      addresses, they all seem to start with "3D".
      For instance 3Dsomename at somehost.com

      Are any of you having this same issue?

      Cheers,
      Jeff

      Before posting, read the Wiki (http://wiki.mailscanner.info/)
      and
      the archives
      (http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/mailscanner.html).

      Support MailScanner development - buy the book off the
      website!