OT: Fedora3 vs CentOS4

William Burns William.Burns at AEROFLEX.COM
Mon May 16 18:11:35 IST 2005

My issue w/ the Fedora line is that "support" i.e. patches are not
available as long.
Otherwise, FC3 is the equivalent of RHEL4. (Tuned slightly differently)

If you've got no problems w/ re-installing Fedora versions to keep up w/
a supported version, then that's fine.
If you need patches+updates but are unwilling to reinstall at whatever
rate Fedora becomes unsupported, (or "best-effort" supported) then
you'll want to go w/ RHEL4, or one of it's derivatives.

RHEL4 requires you to keep a subscription up to date in order to
continue to get your binary updates.
Other options include the "other" commercial disto SuSE.

The SuSE pricing/support model is similar to the older RedHat distros.
You can install one copy on multiple machines, and get your updates
indefinitely.
I suppose that there's a danger of SuSE changing over the new RedHat
model, and becoming "stranded" without commercial updates, similarly to
RH9 users.

Another issue is that the latest Fedora gets new features and packages
before RHEL. If that's something that you're interested in then Fedora
has that in its favor.

-Bill