Spam via "innocent" machines

Donovan Jones d.jones at FX.NET.NZ
Mon May 16 04:21:24 IST 2005

On Mon, 2005-05-16 at 15:08, Jeff Mills wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm hoping somebody might be able to help with a problem we've been having lately, but mostly today.
> Some of my users have told us about an increase in spam over the last couple of days.
> One user claims she has received 50 today.
> Mailscanner is not picking up these, and when I check, they are getting scores mostly of around 1, but up to 3.

These are machines recwently infected by sober now sending german
political spam

here is a SA ruleset:

http://mailscanner.prolocation.net/german.cf

> These emails are in various languages, but most seem to be english and German, pointing to political news pages.
> Looking at the headers, the originating addresses appear to be dialup accounts, adsl accounts etc, which could mean these are household computers affected with a worm of some kind.
>
> The other thing thats happening is that the user will receive 50 odd undeliverable messages which would suggest that their email address was attached to outgoing spam. I dont know how I can block these without affecting legitimate undeliverable messages.
> One thing I have noticed is that of the undeliverable addresses, they all seem to start with "3D".
> For instance 3Dsomename at somehost.com

>From addresses are spoofed addresses harvested from infected hosts,
usually all harvested local parts appended randomly to all harvested
domains.

> Are any of you having this same issue?

yes lots of people see the internet storm center report:

http://isc.sans.org/diary.php?date=2005-05-15

> Cheers,
> Jeff

Regards