Mail relay/scanner server set up question....

Mike Kercher mike at CAMAROSS.NET
Wed May 11 18:00:21 IST 2005

I can't help you on the postfix side, but on the sendmail MX box, I'd remove
the /etc/mail/access entries for RELAY.

Add each domain you relay mail for to /etc/mail/relay-domains

Then, in your /etc/mail/mailertable, add an entry for each domain:

domain1.com             esmtp:[192.168.1.100]
domain2.com             esmtp:[192.168.1.101]

Then, cd /etc/mail;make to hash everything and RESTART MailScanner.  You
need to restart so that the sendmail processes will reread their
configuration.

Mike

________________________________

Of Rob
Sent: Wednesday, May 11, 2005 9:52 AM
To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Mail relay/scanner server set up question....

Hello all, I was on this list, but went away for a while and now I am
back....

I have a set up doing this but not sure if it is the correct way, if anyone
has any comments please send them my way....

I host a 100 or so domains for email and we hosting... to take a load off of
my mail server(SMTP & pop) I set up a server just to be the MX  for these
domains and once scanned by mailscanner relay it to the server that users
pop off....

here is how I did it, but not sure if it is the most efficient way...

Server-2:  The SMTP & pop server, is a postfix(on Debian Sarge) server
running with VHCS2 control panel, it was doing all the scanning but I turned
it off via mailscanner conf file, so it does not scan for viruses or spam..
This is where users pop their mail, they do not use it for sending outgoing
email.

Server-1: the  MX server is a Fedora core 2 running sendmail(8.12) and
mailscanner....
So email comes in gets scanned and sends it over to Server-2
The config for this in sendmail is...

/etc/mail/access file has entries like this

domain.com    RELAY
domain2.com   RELAY
and so on....

/etc/mail/mailertable file has entries liek this...

domain.com               smtp:[Server-2.com]
domain2.com             smtp:[Server-2.com]
and so on...

dns zone file entries for each domain are like so....

$TTL 3600
@       IN      SOA     domain.com. root.domain.com. (
; dmn [domain.com] timestamp entry BEGIN.
                         1111763982
; dmn [domain.com] timestamp entry END.
                         8H
                         2H
                         4W
                         1D )
                 IN      NS      dns1.thednsguys.com.
                 IN      NS      dns2.thednsguys.com.
                 IN      NS      dns3.thednsguys.com.
                 IN      MX      5 mx.server-1.com.
                 IN      MX      10 mx2.thehostmasters.com.

domain.com.  A       xxx.xxx.xxx.2
;ns             IN      A       xxx.xxx.xxx.2
mail            IN      A       xxx.xxx.xxx.2
www             CNAME   domain.com.
ftp             CNAME   domain.com.

Is this set up ok?

Thanks and any help greatly appreciated...

Have a great day!

Rob...

Before posting, read the Wiki (http://wiki.mailscanner.info/)