sender verification

Jim Holland mailscanner at MANGO.ZW
Wed May 11 08:42:20 IST 2005

Hi Jan-Peter

On Wed, 11 May 2005, Jan-Peter Koopmann wrote:

> > That is why I would
> > like to see this being implemented after receipt of the
> > message - just as DNSBL and other checks are carried out
> > afterwards by MailScanner.
>
> I use DNSBL at MTA level and with SpamAssassin. If the IP triggers one
> of two RBLs I trust the message is rejected. If it hits one of several
> other RBLs I slow down the SMTP protocol (enforcing synchronization) and
> catch quite a lot of spam with that.

I am not familiar with how to slow down the SMTP connection selectively -
I don't think this is a feature that sendmail offers.

> To be honest: I would think of this as unneccessary overhead. Why don't
> you simply verify the sender address at MTA level, add a header to the
> message in case the verify fails and then write a simple SpamAssassin
> rule for this? That's what we do here. It's quick and no code has to be
> changed. I'm not sure how easy this is with sendmail but with exim this
> is a matter of minutes.

Again, I don't know of any easy method of doing this with sendmail without
writing a special milter.

> New code in MailScanner only brings the possibility of new errors as the
> code gets more and more complex, especially since the feature you want
> would mean implementing/using SMTP. The only advantage would be that
> people not using SpamAssassin could use this functionality. I doubt
> there are many people out there that fit this definition though. :-)

Sadly I am in fact in this category.  The current server could not cope.
However there is a new server sitting on my desk that I have just loaded
with CentOS (RHEL4 clone).  Now to try Exim, SpamAssassin etc . . .

Thanks for your feedback.

Regards

Jim Holland
System Administrator
MANGO - Zimbabwe's non-profit e-mail service