SV: Panda not working

Steen, Glenn Glenn.Steen at AP1.SE
Mon May 9 19:01:14 IST 2005

Yes, well.... There is where you (unfortunately) may start to stumble...
See, the original wrapper does a pretty decent job of sanitizing the output, but... It assumes that the output is as seen on an xterm/vt-whatever when executing "inside MS". This isn't the case.
So then the original author "falls back" on invoking pavcl once/file... and still it'll mess up from time to time. Set your TERM to "dumb" (or unset it), then call it as is done in MS on a directory that may contain several subdirectories (both clean and unclean files) and you'll likely see the same mess I found... Of course, I'd be rather happy if it did work for you, since that would point at some peculiarity in my system, but.... I won't hold my breath:-).

I'll be glad to share my "improved" wrapper scripts if you'd like to have a go with them, but... I'd recommend against wasting to much (more) time on it. Drop a line and I'll forward them tomorrow (horrible hacks that they are:-).

Best would be for them to produce sane output.

-- Glenn

-----Ursprungligt meddelande-----
Från: MailScanner mailing list genom Rick Cooper
Skickat:        må 2005-05-09 19:42
Till:   MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Kopia:
Ämne: Re: Panda not working

Oh no, I misuderstood you. You would need to do use a lock/retry mechanisim
keep multiple children from attempting to access the file at the same time,
but I was
just looking at the actual output of the virus scanner I wouldn't think
cleaning and parsing
the actual output would be difficult do handle anyway, it's mostly ANSI
escape sqequences. So I guess
I am wondering what the actual problem is?

believed to be clean.