Need Recommendations

Denis Beauchemin Denis.Beauchemin at USHERBROOKE.CA
Fri May 6 19:05:38 IST 2005

Derek Catanzaro wrote:

> I haven't made any modifications to the standard rulesets that come
> with spamassassin and mailscanner, so I'm just using the defaults. I
> did however make the following $LANG change and it seems to have
> cleared up some of my delay issues (found this on Spamassassin's web
> site, when I did and "echo $LANG" it displayed utf8)
> Are you using the default $LANG setting? Do this:
> echo $LANG
> If it contains "utf8", then that's probably the problem. Change it so
> it does not contain "utf8" (see RedHatMalformedUtf8
> <http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/RedHatMalformedUtf8>), and the
> performance issues will clear up.
> Run the following to fix: ^ÓLANG=en_US; export LANG^Ô

Derek,

I don't seem to have any problem running with UTF-8 but I noticed grep
being quite slow that way.

I have added the following aliases to make grep regain its speed:
alias grep='LANG=C grep'
alias egrep='LANG=C egrep'
alias zgrep='LANG=C zgrep'
alias zegrep='LANG=C zegrep'