block msgs based on filename without using antivirus?

Fri May 6 11:03:29 IST 2005

Trevor

have to considered doing some filtering at the MTA? I mean only allow
valid users to recieve email on the inbound MTA. I find this drops about
70% if my traffic.

--
Martin Hepworth
Snr Systems Administrator

Furnish, Trever G wrote:
> I have the terrible feeling that a way of doing this ought to be jumping into my mind, but I'm not getting it.
>
> I have a system configured which barely meets our load under the current sober onslaught and is not currently configured with any virus scanning, just spam filtering.  As such I hesitate to add any virus scanning as it might increase the server load too much.
>
> We're blocking the sober attachment filenames using filename.rules.conf, and I switched those rules from "deny" to "deny+delete" (not sure what that option is supposed to do - couldn't find documentation on it), but that doesn't stop the rest of the message from being delivered.
>
> Using spamassassin to mark the sober messages as 'high scoring spam' isn't really an option, because we still deliver 'high scoring spam' for other business reasons.
>
> Is there any way to delete the sober messages based on attachment filename, without running antivirus checks?  I suppose I could look at the code that interfaces to the "real" antivirus engines and hack up an engine to just reject those messages - I'm hoping there's an easier way.
>
> Thanks,
> Trever

the system manager.