DNS Configuration of Outbound Email

Stef Morrell stef at L5NET.NET
Thu May 5 16:41:40 IST 2005

It's not required by an RFC, but as has been discussed the DNS
status of a host is often used as a criterion by stricter
servers to decide if they should accept the mail.

Good practice therefore should seem to indicate that it's set
up correctly. It should look up forwards and backwards and
yield the same results. This will frequently mean you need
to set up a CNAME rather than an A record, unless you have
control of the reverse lookup tables.

Stef