ClamAV and MailScanner Bug

Desai, Jason jase at SENSIS.COM
Thu May 5 16:24:31 IST 2005

Julian Field wrote:
> Please tell me what the line in your /etc/MailScanner/
> virus.scanners.conf says about clamav. Also please check that your
> Incoming Work Directory path has no links in it. This is by far the
> most common error and would explain your symptoms.

Julian, I think I've suggested this before, but don't remember hearing back
from you about it.  Would it be possible for MailScanner (possibly only once
at startup) to determine the real path of the Incoming Work Directory and
use that, so that symbolic links would be allowed?

Granted, people are not reading the comments in the config file, and are
misconfiguring their servers.  But to detect and still deliver a virus is
not a good thing.  And I think with some simple code, MailScanner could
reduce the risk of such a misconfigured server.  What do you think?

Jase