ClamAV and MailScanner Bug

Rose, Bobby brose at MED.WAYNE.EDU
Wed May 4 18:28:12 IST 2005

In my first message, I sent some log excerpts.  The first one was with
Virus Scanners = clamav, the logs show that the virus was detected by
clamav but it was treated as uninfected.  If I set it to clamavmodule,
the second log excerpt, it was detected and treated as infected by
MailScanner.  It happened on both .83 and .84 of clamav but since the
MailScanner log entry shows the response by clamav in both cases, then
it doesn't look like a clamav issue.

Running
/usr/local/bin/clamscan --unzip --jar --tar --tgz --deb
--tempdir=/tmp/clamav.temptemp -r --disable-summary --stdout .
results in

/export/home/root/a/./eicar.com: Eicar-Test-Signature FOUND
/export/home/root/a/./my_rules_du_jour: OK
/export/home/root/a/./note.txt: OK

________________________________

Behalf Of Julian Field
Sent: Wednesday, May 04, 2005 9:56 AM
To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: ClamAV and MailScanner Bug

Any reason why I might not be able to reproduce it?

I used sendmail, the latest MailScanner code and ClamAV 0.83 and 0.84
and it happily detected both.

So we are saying that on your system ClamAV 0.84 is not being properly
handled and is missing *all* viruses, even eicar?

Please can you put an eicar.com in a directory, along with a few other
harmless files and run this:

mkdir /tmp/clamav.temptemp
chmod go-a /tmp/clamav.temptemp
/usr/local/bin/clamscan --unzip --jar --tar --tgz --deb
----tempdir=/tmp/clamav.temptemp -r --disable-summary --stdout .

Obviously the clamscan command should be all one 1 line, and don't
forget the " ." at the end of the line. And if your clamscan is not in
/usr/local/bin then adjust the command appropriately.

Please send me the exact output of that.

Also tell me what version of ClamAV you are running.