Strange Virus Detected Messages

Richard Lynch rich at MAIL.WVNET.EDU
Tue May 3 01:19:07 IST 2005

DNSAdmin wrote:

> At 05:05 PM 5/2/2005, you wrote:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>>> Raymond.. as far as you could tell.. what? A genuine infection?
>>>
>>> I am seeing this too. It's almost as if something is attaching these
>>> .HTML
>>> attachments to valid mail.
>>

>> We have picked up some from quarantine, seems like f-prot is mioxing
>> things up. You also use f-prot i guess? Its all attachments made by
>> MS-Word. Mostly people that mail HTML style. Allthough i agree its
>> like a
>> virus sending people HTML mail i think f-prot fucked up a update
>> today. We
>> are switching off f-prot till they get this fixed.
>

> Yep, F-Prot and ClamAV. I'm turning off F-Prot too.
>
> Thanks!

I tried to send this message but it was detected as being infected.  So,
once again with a little editing....

This has got to be a bug in f-prot's signature updates.  I've narrowed
it down to a line that looks like this.  Note that you have to split the
line at the string "(*Split-line-here*)".

... that causes f-prot to detect it.  If you join it like so...

... you no longer get the error.   We have reported it to f-prot.

-- Rich