Hardware platform ?

Matt Kettler mkettler at EVI-INC.COM
Mon May 2 18:45:16 IST 2005

Pete Russell wrote:

> Almost anything will run that and leave you room to handle outbreaks.
> Certainly any p3 and fair chunk of RAM and preferably a SCSI HDD.
>
> Checkout the maq for a list of machines current users have.

He's right, 50k/month is pretty low volume. I have a fairly similar mail
volume, so I figured I'd post up some info on the hardware I'm using and
the load I see.

Hardware:
p4 celeron 2gig
512mb ram
scsi raid1 disk setup

Load measurements from mailscanner-mrtg samples every 5 mins:

    - max recorded load average of 1.5 in the past week. Average LA over
1wk is 0.3
    - Average CPU utilization is about 20%, most days peak is 75%. Two
days last week it peaked up to 99% for a short time.

Mail volume:
    2.4k msgs per day on weekdays 1.2k on saturday/sunday
    Works out to under 60k/month

Configuration:
    I run sendmail with mailscanner, and mail gets relayed to/from an
internal groupware server
     virus scanners: command, bitdefender, and clamav
     spamassassin 2.64 (bayes, razor, dcc, rbls, URIBLS from surbl.org,
custom rules)

This box also runs some other services with modest volume:
    bind named (average over 1wk: 50 queries/min)
    Apache webserver (low volume avg 40 hits/hour, 12/hr of which are a
monitoring tool)