mytob worm only picked up by clamav

Steen, Glenn Glenn.Steen at AP1.SE
Mon May 2 15:31:11 IST 2005

BitDefender is a free download/install, so you should be using that
already, regardless:-). Look in the wiki for instruktions
http://wiki.mailscanner.info/doku.php?id=documentation:anti_virus:bitdef
ender:install
(that should be on one line, if "auto-linewrap" mangles it:)

> I've been catching it with both ClamAV (0.84) and McAfee/NAI
> VirusScan (engine
> 4.40.0).  Given NAI's lack of speed in releasing signature
> updates, I don't
> think they are the best option in terms of bangs-for-bucks.
> They do release
> "extra" files when an outbreak occurrs, but these are a pain
> to deal with in
> any automated fashion
Very true about the extra.dat things. But... since a while back
mcafee went to daily updates, so the slowness isn't as bad as it
used to be.

And there we have them, the three I use: clam, bdc and uvscan.
Works ok for me. And if from time to time only one detects a
certain virus, that isn't really a reason to "jump out of ones
shorts"... As long as it gets caught and isn't a FP:-).

-- Glenn