SV: maillog logging level

Steen, Glenn Glenn.Steen at AP1.SE
Sun May 1 17:27:03 IST 2005

Ok, so there we are....telnet has revealed that you cannot make a connection. Do you get a connection refused type message?
Probable causes:
- You are running a firewall on the new MS machine that is blocking port 25 (this would probably be visible in the messages log or similar). Fix is to trim it so that it lets port 25/tcp through... "iptables -L" might show something (perhaps look at nat too)
- Your sendmail isn't listening to the interface... This might be because a) you are telneting locally, and sendmail doesn't listen to localhost, or b) you are telneting from a remote host, but sendmail is only listening to the localhost. Look at your sendmail.mc and/or sendmail.cf (I'm no guru here, but perhaps someone else could help.... Perhaps something with the DaemonOptions or whatever).
- Your sendmail is severly missconfigured and bombs out on any connection.....Yay!-). Would probably be visible in the logs, and perhaps leave corefile(s) behind...

HtH

-- Glenn
.

	-----Ursprungligt meddelande-----
	Från: MailScanner mailing list genom Billy A. Pumphrey
	Skickat: fr 2005-04-29 17:49
	Till: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
	Kopia:
	Ã^Ämne: Re: maillog logging level

	---
	NOTE: I erased the rest of the message to get by the "looks like a
	script" error"
	---

	Ok, telnet

	To make it clear, I have a new MailScanner machine (the one that I am
	trying to get working) and the one in production that is out of date on
	software and hardware.

	Anyway, I know that sendmail is having problems because when I telnet to
	the new one it looks like it tries and just comes back to the command
	prompt.  If I telnet to the old one a connection is made and shows some
	stuff.

	Now,
	Should I just reinstall sendmail on top of mine or something?  I
	installed sendmail by selecting the package when installing centos4.0.
	The service appears to be running ok.  I did the ch config that the book
	and web site talks about.  A service  MailScanner  restart reads fine
	for the services starting (outgoing and incoming sendmail starts fine).
	If I look at the running services it has 1 sendmail running (under user
	smmsp) which is the one that is suppose to be running isn't it?

	I was comparing the service --status-all command between the 2 machines.
	The services looks the same as far as MailScanner and sendmail look.
	There is a sendmail running on each, and MailScanner running
	(MailScanner,incoming sendmail, outgoing sendmail)

	Billy Pumphrey
	IT Manager
	Wooden & McLaughlin