procedures for getting stuff out of the quarantine on older MS version

Harondel J. Sibble mailscanner at PDSCC.COM
Thu Jun 30 07:21:50 IST 2005

Have a mail relay box running an older version of MS, 4.25-14 to be exact,
plans are to upgrade it in the next few weeks to the latest version, however,
one small problem, wondering how other folks solved this, had a look at the
maq's and faq's but didn't see anything specific to this:

We block attachments with more than one period in the filename, this is
causing problems with one of the businesses partners that is supplying
drawings and other data with files like this

infodocument.data.doc

We don't want to stop blocking these kinds of stuff as there are only a few a
week that come in this way and we'll be educating the sender about this.
However in the mean time, the office admin currently does the following to
get the file out of quarantine and to the appropriate office end user:

1) ssh into MS machine
2) su to root
3) copy file to his home directory
4) change ownership/permissions on file in home dir
5) login using WinSCP and copy file to his XP workstation
6) forward attachment internally to the appropriate user

So, the question is, how can we cut this down to say 1 or 2 steps to make
this process a lot faster, or ideally one where he just does this over the
web or with a single application?

Note: I've been receving list email for a long time but haven't had a chance
to read any for many months so I am working hard to get up to speed and may
(hopefully) find the answer before someone replies, but in case I don't, I'd
love to hear how folks handle this.

Thanks
--
Harondel J. Sibble