Question regarding clamd.conf parameters..

Dhawal Doshy dhawal at NETMAGICSOLUTIONS.COM
Wed Jun 29 13:26:50 IST 2005

Dhawal Doshy wrote:
> Julian Field wrote:
>

>>> If clamd.conf is used by MS
>>

>> It's not.
>>
>>> then is it possible to incorporate clamd.conf related parameters in
>>> the next version of MailScanner? something like the current limits
>>> set for clamavmodule.. OR would you rather have people modify the
>>> clamd.conf files?
>>

>> You'll need to refer to a clam expert here, I just use it and it
>> appears to work well enough for me, but there again I use 3 virus
>> scanners anyway.
>>

> Thanks for the clarification.. i'll dig in a bit more and post the
> results if anyone is interested..

Here's some gyan (meaning: 'unsolicited advice' in corrupt hindi) on
clamavmodule and libclamav

The following exportable constants are allowed:
http://cpan.gossamer-threads.com/modules/by-authors/id/S/SA/SABECK/Mail-ClamAV-0.17.readme

Further reference is provided here:
http://www.clamav.net/doc/0.86.1/html/node41.html

Also important to mention is the fact the "if no flags are provided; the
defaults from clamd.conf apply", which implies that if clamd.conf is
found / readable by the Mail::ClamAV module (libclamav) then it'll
inherit properties specified in the clamd.conf file.

Some important parameters that you'd want to set / unset in clamd.conf
(if it exists) are:
MaxDirectoryRecursion: default 15
DetectBrokenExecutables: default disabled (but enabled in dag's rpms)
ArchiveMaxFileSize: Default 10M
ArchiveMaxRecursion: Default 8
ArchiveMaxFiles: Default 250 (set to 1500 in dag's rpms)
ArchiveBlockEncrypted: Default disabled (but enabled in dag's rpms)
ArchiveBlockMax: Default disabled (but enabled in dag's rpms)
ArchiveMaxCompressionRatio: Default 250 (set to 300 in dag's rpms)

So i'd prefer removing clamd.conf completely, but for testing purposes i
am commenting out the following
ArchiveBlockEncrypted (this will mark encrypted archives as viruses)
ArchiveBlockMax (this will mark archives as viruses if ArchiveMaxFiles,
ArchiveMaxFileSize, or ArchiveMaxRecursion limits are reached)

- dhawal