The Book -- new edition

Billy A. Pumphrey bpumphrey at WOODMACLAW.COM
Tue Jun 28 16:37:36 IST 2005

Have your linux server do regular system updates with recommendations to
yum or up2date or something.  Also with links to the technologies.

It would be beneficial to newbies to include basic definitions of the
best practices terms and/or links to different FAQ's or something.

Example:
You should keep your OS updated using technologies such as up2date or
yum. Here is the basic config files for these and briefly how they work.
For in-depth info click here.  I prefer this one over the other but it
is your choice.

I know that Ugo put some examples and are far from completion:
- Have a reverse lookup
- If MaiScanner a gateway, make sure you use firewall rules on the
destination server to make sure only MailScanner can access it.
- Have SPF records
- Use SMTP-AUTH for roaming clients
- Don't bounce
- Make sure you're not an open relay

I now know what most of these are, but before I would have been like

To me even the simplest thing could use a sentence or two then a link
for more info about it.

Another example:
Make sure you're not an open relay.
An open relay means that.............. and ...........  This is what can
happen is you are a open relay..........  For more info click here.

Billy Pumphrey
IT Manager
Wooden & McLaughlin