Regex question

Rick Cooper rcooper at DWFORD.COM
Tue Jun 28 15:38:38 IST 2005

MTA is where all of my RBL checking takes place. You don't say what the MTA
is but I would think about any can accommodate RBL checks these days. I
personally believe in doing as many checks at SMTP time is best. Basic
checks I do are:

Helo checks : helo with my hostname, ip literal or a host name from my
domain - drop and firewall
		  helo with bare IP - drop
		  helo without a FQDN - drop

Rcpt to checks: Invalid user drop (of course)
                non-authenticated local user outside the network - drop
                fails sender callout verification - drop
		    in one of several RBLs (although I don't check DUL) - drop

Data checks:   basic bad mime type (.com|.exe|.pif|.bat) - drop
               Virus - drop and firewall (exim/exiscan BD, ClamAV, f-prot)
               Spam score above 15 - drop
               SPF fails - drop

There are, of course, more dealing with relaying and so forth but for the
most part I have relatively few things that we definatly do not want, pass
through to MS to deal with, and I haven't generated a bounce in so long I
couldn't tell you the last time. Drop the stuff you *know* shouldn't arrive
and let MS handle filename, type, archives, bad content, the marginal spam,
etc.

Rick

believed to be clean.