MailScanner, Mailwatch and additional MXs

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Jun 28 14:26:19 IST 2005

On 28 Jun 2005, at 14:03, Ugo Bellavance wrote:

> Ryan Weaver wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I would like to install Mailwatch or the like on our main
>> corporate mail
>> gateway. We have 2 additional MX records pointing to machines
>> outside our
>> network to prevent loss of email if our mail server becomes
>> unavailable. All
>> servers run some flavor of RedHat (or derivative), sendmail and
>> MailScanner.
>> The secondary servers are also hosts for domains other than our
>> own and must
>> use MailScanner for that other mail.
>>
>> My question involves the secondary mail servers and the way
>> MailScanner
>> handles the mail destined for the primary mail gateway. If
>> MailScanner on
>> the secondary mail servers process the email for the mail gateway,
>> then
>> Mailwatch on the mail gateway will not contain all the messages
>> intended for
>> it.
>>
>> Is there a way to set the secondary servers to not process and
>> simply store
>> and forward messages headed for the mail gateway?.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Ryan
>>

> Hmmm, why do you run MailScanner on the secondary MX if all
> messages end
> up on the primary, which runs MailScanner?

The only reason I know of for this is "Spam List" RBL checking. Only
the first mail server in a chain can do Spam List rbl checks. Another
vote in favour of doing rbl lookups in SpamAssassin.

The only reasons that "Spam List" code exists are to (a) make it
easier for people to configure if that's the behaviour they want, and
(b) I wrote it before integrating SpamAssassin.
--
Julian Field