MailScanner, Mailwatch and additional MXs

Ryan Weaver ryanw at FALSEHOPE.COM
Tue Jun 28 13:51:10 IST 2005

Hi,

I would like to install Mailwatch or the like on our main corporate mail
gateway. We have 2 additional MX records pointing to machines outside our
network to prevent loss of email if our mail server becomes unavailable. All
servers run some flavor of RedHat (or derivative), sendmail and MailScanner.
The secondary servers are also hosts for domains other than our own and must
use MailScanner for that other mail.

My question involves the secondary mail servers and the way MailScanner
handles the mail destined for the primary mail gateway. If MailScanner on
the secondary mail servers process the email for the mail gateway, then
Mailwatch on the mail gateway will not contain all the messages intended for
it.

Is there a way to set the secondary servers to not process and simply store
and forward messages headed for the mail gateway?.

Thanks,
Ryan