OT: Aeron chairs

Matt Kettler mkettler at EVI-INC.COM
Mon Jun 27 17:18:59 IST 2005

Ade Fewings wrote:
>> Has anyone here tried out an Aeron chair? Am thinking of getting one
>> at work. Opinion seems to be very strong and split 50:50 between the
>> lovers and the haters. Any alternatives (other than Steelcase) that
>> anyone prefers?
>>

> Yes, tried one about 4 years ago and now have bought my own a few weeks
> back.  I'm definitely a lover of the Aeron, but i'm thinking it will be
> **even better** when I get a PostureFit extra for the lower-back
> section.  More importantly, not only is it comfortable, but I had been
> having some tolerable back pain and that has gone since I got the
> Aeron.  Of course, I couldn't afford a brand new one.........but if I
> could that shiny chrome effect thing on the new ones looks awesome.  I
> guess it comes down to who is paying for it.........
>
> Cheers
> Ade

Ade, what do you think of some of the criticisms at:

http://www.dack.com/misc/aeron.html

Their basic complaints are:

1) the lumbar support.

Presumably this is a matter of back angle and is addressed by using the
PostureFit instead.

2) The armrest height adjustment.

I don't adjust my armrests often so I don't see that as a big deal. Some posters
claim they can't get them to lock tight, which might be a problem for people who
bear down on their armrest (I don't. In fact, I sometimes just remove the
armrests entirely.)

3) The seat material shredding your pants.

This could be bad. However, I've also sat in a lot of cloth chairs that shred
pants nicely (coarse polyester comes to mind). What's your take on the clothing
wear factor of the Aeron?

4) The hard front edge.

I'm pretty sure this should not be a problem unless your chair is too high (a
result of your desk being to high). In a perfect world your feet should be flat
on the floor with your hips/knees at near right angles.

I'm 5'9" and my desk is set as low as it can go. I have to keep my chair
slightly high in order to get my elbow angle correct. I use a footrest to keep
my thighs from digging into the front of my chair. Presumably this would fix
this "problem" with the aeron chair.

What's your take on the front edge?