OT: malscanner server bypassed

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Jun 27 15:30:03 IST 2005

If it has port 25 open to the outside world, the spammers will hit
it. If there aren't any MX records pointing at it, then the spammers
will hit it even harder as they guess that it's not going to be
carefully configured and so will probably let their spam in.

If you don't want mail coming to the machine, firewall of its port 25
from the outside world.

Remember the spammers don't follow the rules!

On 27 Jun 2005, at 15:15, Martin Hepworth wrote:

> Or secondary MX's pointing @ the pop server?
>
> --
> Martin Hepworth
> Snr Systems Administrator
> Solid State Logic
> Tel: +44 (0)1865 842300
>

> Ugo Bellavance wrote:
>
>> Jan Agermose wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
>>>

>>> A bit off topic i think J I have a mailscanner server running in
>>> front
>>> of the pop3/smtp server. As the pop3 server receives mail for
>>> domains
>>> not handled by the mailscanner server I cannot close down the pop3
>>> server for mail not coming from/through the mailscanner.
>>>
>>> Now the problem is that a lot of spam seams to hit the pop3
>>> server for
>>> domains handled by the mailscanner but looking at the mailheader it
>>> looks like the spammails where delivered to the pop3 server directly
>>> bypassing the mailscanner. Could this be correct? And is this
>>> possible
>>> to prevent in any?
>>>

>>> The MX of the domain is pointing to the mailscanner server.
>>>

>> Firewall rules?
>> 'leave mailscanner' in the body of the email.
>> Before posting, read the Wiki (http://wiki.mailscanner.info/) and
>> the archives (http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/mailscanner.html).

> the system manager.
>
> This footnote confirms that this email message has been swept
> for the presence of computer viruses and is believed to be clean.

Julian Field