malscanner server bypassed

Michele Neylon:: Blacknight.ie michele at blacknight.ie
Sun Jun 26 16:53:49 IST 2005

Jan Agermose wrote:
> Hi
>
> A bit off topic i think J I have a mailscanner server running in
> front of the pop3/smtp server. As the pop3 server receives mail for
> domains not handled by the mailscanner server I cannot close down the
> pop3 server for mail not coming from/through the mailscanner.
>
> Now the problem is that a lot of spam seams to hit the pop3 server
> for domains handled by the mailscanner but looking at the mailheader
> it looks like the spammails where delivered to the pop3 server
> directly bypassing the mailscanner. Could this be correct? And is
> this possible to prevent in any?
>
> The MX of the domain is pointing to the mailscanner server.
>
> Mvh

Sounds like they are targetting the A records.

There is very little that you can do if the server holding the A record has
to accept mail from the 'net.

Michele

Mr Michele Neylon
Blacknight Internet Solutions Ltd
Quality Hosting, co-location & domains
http://www.blacknight.ie/
Tel. +353 59 9183072
Tired of your current host? Save 15% when you move to us!