OT: Aeron chairs

Ade Fewings ade at INFORMATICS.BANGOR.AC.UK
Sat Jun 25 16:49:30 IST 2005

>>>Has anyone here tried out an Aeron chair? Am thinking of getting one
>>>at work. Opinion seems to be very strong and split 50:50 between the
>>>lovers and the haters. Any alternatives (other than Steelcase) that
>>>anyone prefers?
>>>

>>Yes, tried one about 4 years ago and now have bought my own a few
>>weeks back.  I'm definitely a lover of the Aeron, but i'm thinking it
>>will be **even better** when I get a PostureFit extra for the
>>lower-back section.  More importantly, not only is it comfortable, but
>>I had been having some tolerable back pain and that has gone since I
>>got the Aeron.  Of course, I couldn't afford a brand new
>>one.........but if I could that shiny chrome effect thing on the new
>>ones looks awesome.  I guess it comes down to who is paying for
>>it.........
>>

>I was definitely going for the Posturefit back. What of it comes in
>chrome? I was going to be very unoriginal and do it all in black. Is the
>lumbar support bit worth getting or won't I ever use it?

You either have PostureFit or Lumbar Support but not both, and I believe
the PostureFit is better - it's certainly newer, more expensive and more
sophisticated-looking.  The chrome effect stuff is just the shiny
metalwork, instead of all black....as shown in the pics of the HM
website (
http://www.hermanmiller.com/CDA/SSA/Product/0,,a10-c440-p8,00.html ) - I
think it looks pretty cool, but I guess with that and the PostureFit,
the price is heading north of a lot!

My justification is that you wouldn't expect a tree-surgeon to go to
work without the necessary equipment for safety and health purposes, so
why shouldn't I have a good chair, seeing as i'm going to be sat in it
**a lot**.

I guess overall, I would say it's a lot to spend on getting something if
you haven't tried it, so it's worth investigating a test-run if you
can.  However, nobody here that has sat in my chair has said anything
other than "isn't it comfortable?"

Cheers
Ade

Ade Fewings MEng

School of Informatics, University of Wales, Bangor,
Dean Street, Bangor, Gwynedd. LL57 1UT. UK.

ade at informatics.bangor.ac.uk  www.informatics.bangor.ac.uk/~ade
Tel: +44 (0)1248 382736       Fax: +44 (0)1248 361429