MailScanner setup questions

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Fri Jun 24 16:16:02 IST 2005

On 24 Jun 2005, at 15:51, Martin Hepworth wrote:

> Douglas
>
> see inline
> --
> Martin Hepworth
> Snr Systems Administrator
> Solid State Logic
> Tel: +44 (0)1865 842300
>

> Douglas Ward wrote:
>
>> I have set up an e-mail gateway server using the following
>> software: MailScanner, Postfix, Mandrake LE2005, ClamAV,
>> SpamAssassin, and BitDefender.  During the setup I have run into a
>> few problems.  After much research I have decided to send out
>> these questions.  I appreciate any advice you could offer.
>> 1) BitDefender will not auto-update.  When I enter the command
>> "bdc --update" I get the following reply:
>> [root at barnabus etc]# bdc --update
>> BDC/Linux-Console v7.0 (build 2490) (i386) (Dec 10 2003 16:11:35)
>> Copyright (C) 1996-2003 SOFTWIN SRL. All rights reserved.
>> Error: can't find update dll
>> I noticed that in bdc.ini the UpdateHttpLocation field was
>> pointing to a URL that no longer exists.  I updated it to point to
>> an ftp site where I have been manually downloading the updates.
>> The default install was in /opt/bdc which is where the bitdefender-
>> wrapper is pointing to.  I can see clamav-wrapper and clamscan
>> appearing in top but do not see bitdefender.
>> 2) Does MailScanner auto update these definition files?  I have
>> set a cron job to run freshclam periodically and have been
>> manually updating BitDefender until question number one is
>> resolved.  Do I need to worry about this?
>>

> yes - run /opt/MailScanner/bin/update_virus_scanners (or whereever
> this is on your system) and it will do all the scanners you have
> defined in MailScanner.conf

No, it does all the scanners you have defined in virus.scanners.conf
which will be in the same directory as your MailScanner.conf.

>> 3) MailScanner has been shutting down at random times overnight.
>> We can't find errors in any log files on the server.  Is
>> MailScanner supposed to restart itself periodically?  If so, is
>> there a restart command I am missing somewhere?  We have set up a
>> cron job to try to start MailScanner every hour until we get this
>> figured out.
>>

> yes - stops memory leaks. should restart a new one in its place. If
> not as again.

MailScanner should not stop, it should run forever. Every 4 hours (by
default, see the "Restart Every" setting) it will kill its worker
processes and respawn them.

>> 4) I have downloaded the dcc, pyzor, and razor packages from urpmi
>> and see pyzor working in top.  Are there any further steps I have
>> to take to configure/update these packages?  The documentation has
>> proven rather difficult to figure out.
>>

> with pyzor/razor you have run a little update script about once per
> day. The pyzor one is "/usr/local/bin/pyzor discover". I guess the
> razor one is similar see the man entry.

There is a similar one for razor as well ("razor -discover"). You
should do that once a day.

--
Julian Field