The Book -- new edition

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Jun 23 18:40:50 IST 2005

At 10:39 am 2005-06-23, you wrote:

>> Julian Field wrote:
>> > I am working on a new edition of The Book(tm). Currently, I have just
>> > updated the content to reflect all the new options that have been
>> > added since the last edition, so that it is correct up to and
>> > including 4.43.
>> >
>> > What else would people like to see in the book? Minor changes and
>> > additions would be preferred to ideas that involve me writing another
>> > 100 pages!
>> >
>> > All ideas welcome, as usual.
>>
>> I'd also suggest a bit more discussion on the areas where there seems
>> to be
>> perennial confusion such as zipped file scan depth,

Done.

>> bayes lock files (mine's
>> still wonky),

What of this is MailScanner-related, and what is SpamAssassin's problem?
What would you like me to add, and where?

>> rules etc.

What extra would you like? I agree there is confusion, but I'm not sure
what to do about it? It's a very simple system if you use it that way,
just people don't get the hang of the fact that it just provides a
method for creating the setting of an option dependent on where the
message is from/to. I don't know why people don't get that bit, to my
mind it's blindingly simple. I am obviously just not seeing the problem.
Please help.

>>   There's some areas of the .conf file that one has
>> to read through a couple times in order to get the big picture.

Such as?

>> You might also add an appendix on the joys/benefits of SMGateway over
>> and
>> above MS.  A succinct description of the advantages of using
>> SMGateway over
>> a "roll your own" instance might help w/sales (good for you) and for
>> those
>> in an email admin role but whose primary job is not email
>> administration it
>> might help them make a case to their PHBs that buying a supported
>> product is
>> in their best interest (good for them).

I'll mention that to Steve (Swaney and Freegard) and see what they can
provide.

- --
Julian Field