MailScanner block zip attach file

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 13:48:01 IST 2005

On 6/21/05, Meshbah Uddin Ahmed <meshbahuddin at yahoo.com> wrote:
> In MailScannerc.onf, it was
> Maximum Archive Depth = 2
>
> i set it 0. then zip files sent. But if i attach zip
> file, which contains virus, it also sent, clamav didnt
> chk it.
>
> where as if i set Maximum Archive Depth = 2,
> MailScanner block all attach file which ext is .zip
>
> pls, advice.
>

> --- Glenn Steen <glenn.steen at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
>
> > On 6/21/05, Meshbah Uddin Ahmed
> > <meshbahuddin at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I use Postfix + MailScanner + ClamAV +
> > SpamAssassin in
> > > Debian. All are works fine. I faced a problem,
> > when i
> > > want to send mail with zip attach included .exe,
> > > mailscanner blocks it. But if i create that folder
> > > with tgz extension then it successfully send.
> > >
> > > In my filenames.rules.conf file, both /.zip and
> > > /.t?gz
> > > are allowed.
> > >
> > > Plaese advice me, what should i do to recover it.
> > >
> > > Reagrds
> > > Meshbah
> > >
> > Hm, shouldn't the tgz-ball have been stoped too?
> > Anyway, if you read
> > the comments just above
> > Maximum Archive Depth =
> > you'll see that you should perhaps set it to 0.
> >
> > --
> > -- Glenn
> > email: glenn < dot > steen < at > gmail < dot > com
> > work: glenn < dot > steen < at > ap1 < dot > se

Would clamscan find that virus *outside* of MS? As it says in the
comments, this should have nothing to do with whether clamav can find
a virus or not. Look at virus.scanners.conf,  use the second and third
column for clamav like this:
/usr/lib/MailScanner/clamav-wrapper /usr/local -r --disable-summary
--stdout /path/to/file.with.virus.zip
(all on one line, in case that got wrapped:).
Does that detect it?

--
-- Glenn