MailScanner + Exim3 -> Exim4....or something else?

James Gray james at grayonline.id.au
Sun Jun 19 22:52:53 IST 2005

I have a Debian + Exim3 based MailScanner box and it's been powering away for
years with no problems at all.  However, since upgrading to Sarge, it was
noted by the Exim maintainers that Exim3 is no longer maintained upstream and
they strongly recommend switching to Exim4.  OK - so I upgraded some other
boxes to Exim4 just get a feel for any configuration changes....oh dear.
Seems Debian has split a nice, single, flat config file into an entire
directory tree of config files.  Gah.

So if this is going to be the mind-job it appears, I'll switch to Sendmail (I
use it on every other MailScanner box I operate).  So my questions to the
list:
1. Is the Exim3->Exim4 upgrade really as painful as it looks on Debian Sarge.
2. If #1 is "yes" then what other MTA is least painful?

In light of #2, the MTA wish-list currently includes (without strange chanting
and animal sacrifices):
1. High load stability (it will be running on a Celeron400!)
2. SQL-based virtual users (not implemented yet...but in planning)
3. Authenticated SMTP for incoming connections - preferably with SQL-based
   virtual users etc.  If not PLAIN auth will do.
4. TLS/SSL ASMTP (again - not implemented but would be if I went users sending
   their passwords over the network - currently using TLS POP3)
5. Support milter-like plug-ins (currently using sendmail + milter-greylist on
   other boxes with great success!).

Thoughts, opinions, flames?

Cheers,

James