SV: Still clamav update problems

Steen, Glenn Glenn.Steen at AP1.SE
Fri Jun 17 20:33:22 IST 2005

As someone (Mark Nienberg was it?) mentioned, the "funcionality level" thing is a way for the clamav team to force you to upgrade your engine (ie install the latest clamav). If you ignore it, you'll eventually not get the signature updates, so best heed it.

About the generic thing. Jules, in his infinite wisdom, has provided a stub AV scanner (scripts really) that we can use to ... implement our own scanner. This is called "generic". As with any scanner MS finds, it'll run its update script regardless of whether you use it or not (also due to Jules wisdom, it's a good thing, since it'll mean that the scanner is updated if/when you decide to use it).

-- Glenn