OT: Blocking oversized messages during SMTP transaction

Jim Holland mailscanner at MANGO.ZW
Thu Jun 16 16:06:50 IST 2005

Hi

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005, Matt Kettler wrote:

> > I used only the MAX_MESSAGE_SIZE option.  Would the SMTP_MAILER_MAX option
> > work differently and achieve what we need?
>
> In general, MAX_MESSAGE_SIZE should be the correct way to do it.
>
> However, if you are having problems like you describe, you might try
> setting the SMTP_MAILER_MAX. This should limit the size of the SMTP
> session.
>
> I'd look around and see if there's a sendmail bug somewhere on the issue.
> Sendmail should enforce the MAX_MESSAGE_SIZE with an error and not a stuck
> connection.

Thanks for the feedback.

I have tried SMTP_MAILER_MAX as well as MAX_MESSAGE_SIZE and it doesn't
help unfortunately.  I am using sendmail 8.13.1 which is fairly current I
think.  The connection doesn't get stuck in this situation - it simply
continues until the sending server has finished sending megabytes of
unwanted mail and then it terminates normally once our server has
indicated that the message is too large.

Regards

Jim Holland
System Administrator
MANGO - Zimbabwe's non-profit e-mail service