OT: "OMG YOU SENT TEH VIRUSESS"

Jason Balicki kodak at FRONTIERHOMEMORTGAGE.COM
Wed Jun 15 18:42:56 IST 2005

Matt Kettler <> wrote:
[snip]
> While all that might sound a little extreme, how many of you would
> block traffic from a known smurf amplifier that kept being used to
> hit your network? To me, there's no difference between a
> post-delivery virus/spam autoresponder and a smurf amplifier, it's
> just TCP/SMTP based instead of ICMP/echo.

I don't think that's extreme at all.  As a matter
of fact, a lot of times when I'm trying to track
down the responsible party for a domain I discover
that they don't have an "abuse" or "postmaster"
address set up.  If I can I'll send a friendly
warning.  If not, or if the warning goes ignored
for a few days then I submit the domain to
rfc-ignorant.org.

Sometimes I feel like I'm trying to plug a firehose
with a cotton ball, but I do what I can.

--J(K)