OT: "OMG YOU SENT TEH VIRUSESS"

Wed Jun 15 18:03:53 IST 2005

Jason

a good SA rule for this is Tim Jackson's bogus virus warnings set.

http://www.timj.co.uk/linux/bogus-virus-warnings.cf

however you'll need to turn a few off by putting the following in
spam.assassin.prefs.conf - otherwise various MS based systems will
trigger the rules..

score VIRUS_WARNING15   0
score VIRUS_WARNING28   0
score VIRUS_WARNING33   0
score VIRUS_WARNING62   0
score VIRUS_WARNING66   0
score VIRUS_WARNING226  0
score VIRUS_WARNING250  0
score VIRUS_WARNING300  0
score VIRUS_WARNING326  0
score VIRUS_WARNING339  0
score VIRUS_WARNING340  0

--
Martin Hepworth
Snr Systems Administrator

Jason Balicki wrote:

> Because of this, I get a large amount of garbage
> mail.  One particular type of garbage mail is
> mis-configured mail scanning suites that send
> "virus received" warning messages.  You all know
> why this is bad, so I won't discuss this.  I'll
> just say that it annoys me greatly -- especially
> when my users receive them and I have to go
> through the incredibly boring explanation of
> what happened yet again.
>
> What I'd like to know, though, is what the general
> consensus is in regards to dealing with these.  Is
> it bad form to track down the admin and explain
> (gently) that it's a bad idea to send these?
>
> I've sent mail to admins of domains before, but
> I've never received an "ok, we understand" (sign
> for OK!) back, and for the most part it does no
> good, because I get the same messages over and
> over.  The Samba users mailing list is especially
> bad for this sort of behavior.
>
> It's not like it's bad enough for me to black
> list them, and threatening to blacklist their
> domain from my domain is kinda pointless --
> chances are they'd never need to send or
> receive mail from us, ever.  But they're still
> contributing to the problem of too much garbage
> traffic and not the solution.
>
> Has anyone had any success with these situations
> before?  Any magic words that seem to help
> straighten out the offending parties?
>
> --J(K)

the system manager.