OT Sendmail help on new sendmail/MS/SA install

Scott Silva ssilva at SGVWATER.COM
Wed Jun 15 17:45:57 IST 2005

Pavel Zichovsky said the following on 6/15/2005 6:47 AM:
> Hi there!
>

>>Although the advice by other listmembers is extremely thorough, you only
>>need a few things in order to have SMTP AUTH working out-of-the-box on
>>CentOS/RH/FC or whatever other distro...
>>
>>1. Have saslauthd running
>>2. Have the following on /etc/mail/sendmail.mc:
>>TRUST_AUTH_MECH(`LOGIN PLAIN')dnl
>>define(`confAUTH_MECHANISMS', `LOGIN PLAIN')dnl
>>define(`confAUTH_OPTIONS', `A')dnl
>

> Is anywhere "manual" how to inject these settings directly into sendmail.cf
> ??
>
> In my instalation there is no sendmail-cf package (it is not problem to
> install it), and (what is problem) many settings were done directly into
> sendmail.cf (without mc) by server supplier. Unfortunately suppliers says
> that SMTP Auth cannot be enabled in current configuration (I read it like
> "we do not know how to enable it") and wants a lot of money for complete
> reinstalling/reconfiguration of server software (postfix instead of
> sendmail).
> So using of mc is no good for me, because it would mean building up complete
> .mc file from scratch :-(

Is your sendmail system doing anything out of the ordinary?
You could backup your sendmail.cf, run through the macro processor, and
diff the new file to your backup. You could get a better idea of what is
in the original, and maybe you could get a handle on some of the needed
.mc commands to get something resembling your current configuration.
Your mail server wouldn't have to be off line more then 5 minutes while
you did this, or you could do the experimenting on another machine, and
have no downtime at all.

--

| MailScanner; The best |___________ \N1____====== )-+
| protection on the net!|                   ~~~|/~~  |