Messages in foreign languages

Scott Silva ssilva at SGVWATER.COM
Wed Jun 15 00:57:28 IST 2005

Alex Neuman said the following on 6/14/2005 2:27 PM:
> Matt Kettler wrote:
>
>> Denis Beauchemin wrote:
>>

>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Is it just me who has problems with messages not in English?  I know I
>>> don't write perfect English because my main language is French but at
>>> least I always post in English.
>>>
>>> Why does it bother me?  Maybe because whenever I see something I can't
>>> read I feel I cannot help the other person.  This list is so valuable to
>>> people because so many people help others.  Whenever someone use a
>>> foreign language, they can't get as much support because many people
>>> don't speak that language.
>>>

>> True, although I generally figure that is the risk the poster takes.
>>
>> They're posting in a language outside the norm for the list, so
>> they're taking a
>> risk they might not get the help they need. But that's their problem,
>> not mine.
>>
>> If they get help, great, if not, there's nothing I can do about it.
>> Either way,
>> it doesn't bother me.
>>
>> Sometimes if I see someone posting in a foreign language and getting
>> no answers
>> I'll point out the obvious and suggest they try translating.
>>
>> Otherwise I just ignore the messages I can't read with a shrug.
>>
>> ------------------------ MailScanner list ------------------------
>> 'leave mailscanner' in the body of the email.
>> Before posting, read the Wiki (http://wiki.mailscanner.info/) and
>> the archives (http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/mailscanner.html).

> We *could* open a list in spanish if need be. I'd be glad to contribute.

It is true that most of this list is at least comfortable with english,
if not native to it.
But running the message through a translator like
babelfish.altavista.net doesn't help much.
Maybe if people see a message in a language they are comfortable with,
that is getting no answers, maybe they could add some translation and
repost. Out of the goodness of their heart of course.

--

| MailScanner; The best |___________ \N1____====== )-+
| protection on the net!|                   ~~~|/~~  |