SV: Problem with ClamAV update

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Jun 14 12:11:45 IST 2005

On 14 Jun 2005, at 12:01, Steen, Glenn wrote:

> Ugo Bellavance wrote:
>
>> Steen, Glenn wrote:
>>
>>> Perhaps you'll see something in /tmpClamav.update.log (or whatever
>>> it'scalled ... I'm @home:-)?
>>>

>> I found out that the problem is that my autoupdate script calls
>> /usr/bin/freshclam instead of /usr/local/freshclam.  But the
>> script is
>> the same as on my other servers.  I tried removing /usr/bin/
>> freshclam,
>> removing libs in /usr/libs, uninstall + reinstall ClamAV, but it
>> still
>> tries to run /usr/bin/freshclam.
>>
>> Anyone has an idea about where I should go from now?
>>
>> Regards,
>>

> Looking at a copy of clamav-autoupdate you have:
> ------
> $PackageDir = shift || "/usr/local";
>
> $LogFile = "/tmp/ClamAV.update.log";
>
> $ClamUpdateCommand = "$PackageDir/bin/freshclam";
>
> -----
> And since $PackageDir is set from the third column in
> /etc/MailScanner/virus.scanners.conf (when called from
> update_virus_scanners,
>  it seems you need change that from /usr to /usr/local ... provided
> you've
> installed lcamav to /usr/local (which it seems you've done).

Very simple: If you have installed ClamAV under /usr/local then
that's what needs to be in virus.scanners.conf. If you use my Clam+SA
package, you will find it automatically corrects virus.scanners.conf
for you.

Please don't start tweaking my wrapper or autoupdate scripts. You are
asking (and deserve) a whole world of pain when you upgrade and
forget to reinstall your "tweak".

- --
Julian Field