TNEF - attach winmail.dat contents to original email ?

Peter Russell pete at ENITECH.COM.AU
Mon Jun 6 22:59:30 IST 2005

> Here is the problem:
> We have some clients that continually receive winmail.dat files.
> Obviously, it be best if winmail.dat would just go away, but
> unfortunately that is not that case ;) What we would like to do, is to
> setup the MailScanner so that when the mail is processed it will go
> ahead and unpack the winmail.dat file, extract the actual attachment,
> scan it for viruses, and the re-attach that to the original email, thus
> discarding the original winmail.dat file.  Thus the client does not have
> to bothered with the winmail.dat file.

Winmail.dat does not always mean that there is an attachment. It means
that some one who has incorrectly configured their exchange server has
allowed the iused of the Microsoft Rich Text for external emails and the
formatting data is contained in the winmail.dat, not attachments.

Formatting data like outlook stationery, and horizontal rules and other
formatting data.

You can safely delete them, but do it with a warning to the folks
running exchange.

If the email had an attachment and was send from an incorrectly
configured exvchange environment you wouild see 2 attachments, not the
winmail.dat containing the 2nd attachment.