TNEF - attach winmail.dat contents to original email ?

Cade Thacker cade.thacker at ONERINGGROUP.COM
Mon Jun 6 22:09:16 IST 2005

Hello,
my sincere apologies if this is a dead horse that is about to receive
another beating, but I have looked through the email archives and my
friends at Google were also not able to shed some light on my problem,
so I finally thought I would turn to the experts.  I will be happy to
work with the powers that be to add this to the new Wiki, because I am
sure somebody else has wondered the same thing.

Here is the problem:
We have some clients that continually receive winmail.dat files.
Obviously, it be best if winmail.dat would just go away, but
unfortunately that is not that case ;) What we would like to do, is to
setup the MailScanner so that when the mail is processed it will go
ahead and unpack the winmail.dat file, extract the actual attachment,
scan it for viruses, and the re-attach that to the original email, thus
discarding the original winmail.dat file.  Thus the client does not have
to bothered with the winmail.dat file.

I looked through the MailScanner.conf and studied the TNEF settings, but
my understanding of them is that they unpack the winmail.dat so that the
file(s) can be scanned, then just sends the original email on it way
with the winmail.dat still attached. I am just hoping to take this one
step further.

We are currently running MailScanner 4.41.3 on Fedora Core 3.

Can this be accomplished through MailScanner, or should I even dive down
into setting up a sendmail filter?  I am open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks for your help!

--

 - Cade Thacker -
- One Ring Group -