MailScanner stops working after dying of old child

Dirk Rieger dri at B-W-COMPUTER.DE
Mon Jun 6 11:49:57 IST 2005

> please take a look at task 45
> Take 2: MailScanner children dying and not picking up new mail
> as I had an similar error.

task 45?

> check that you don't have any non-mail file in one of your mail queues
> as in my case it was the razor-agent.log
> I updated to the actual MailScanner version as there were some changes how
> MailScanner childs were handled.
> Assure Razor is configured to place it's log to a fixed-place outside a
> mail-queue and that razor is able to write to this dir

> pns:/var/spool/postfix.in/deferred# ls -la
> insgesamt 1628
> drwx------   18 postfix  root         4096  6. Jun 12:16 .
> drwxr-xr-x   14 root     root         4096 12. Mär 2004  ..
> drwx------    2 postfix  postfix     12288  6. Jun 12:33 0

> [...]

> drwx------    2 postfix  postfix      4096  6. Jun 12:30 F
> -rw-------    1 postfix  postfix   1468635  3. Jun 16:13 tnef-6460-1.doc

> WTF is tnef-6460-1.doc? Could that be the problem? The errors occured
> with the newest version (4.42.9)

seems to be some documentation from the tnef-perl module.
I'm sure this is the problem - MS seems to have problems handling non-mail
files inside a mail-queue

>> At best check your settings with setting Debug to Yes for Spamassassin
>> and Mailscanner inside your MailScanner.conf

> I'm not running SA, razor etc. Only MailScanner with clamavmodule and
> F-Prot.

sure you don't need to debug what you're not using ;)